Blackwell’s Broad Street refurbished

Posted by on Mar 13, 2012 in News
Blackwell’s Bookshop refurbishment in Broad Street, Oxford

is for many a familiar and inspiring building and a source of knowledge for both student and mature reader alike. It has stood on this spot since the early 18th Century and is a Grade II Listed Building. Blackwell’s was founded here in 1879 by Benjamin Blackwell selling academic books from just one room. The classical front of Blackwell’s hides typical timber framed structures still being built in Oxford in the eighteenth century. Blackwell’s is still family owned and has many retail outlets across the UK. We were engaged to oversee extensive repair and refurbishment works both externally and internally.

We liaised closely with the Conservation Officer at Oxford City Council and the landlord’s surveyor to ensure the works were carried out sensitively and carefully to restore this wonderful building back to its former glory. External joinery to windows and doors, signage were carefully repaired, restored and redecorated, roof repairs and general internal repairs were also carried out. The whole façade was then redecorated to complete the restoration and refurbishment process. The project was completed on time and within budget.

Blackwell’s – 50 Broad Street